Friday, September 26, 2008

To be an Outreacher

Looking back now, it's hard to believe that we debated whether we could spare the time to go to dinner at Ron and Sandi's house this evening. Under those smiles is sheer terror.


When I decided 2 or 3 years ago to get my grad degree in Speech and Language Pathology I was thrilled to find out about USU's outreach program. I could take my classes online and spend a few short weeks over the summer taking classes. It wouldn't be so hard! I knew that it would be a challenge. I knew that it wouldn't be easy. I knew there would be some sacrifice.

I had absolutely NO idea.



It's nearly impossible to explain to someone what it's like during an outreach summer. I've tried. People always think I'm exaggerating.



I try to tell them about one week that began with a test and then over the next 4 days we had 4 papers and 5 presentations to give. I tell people that I only slept for 8 hours that week. I explain that if it weren't for the blue RockStar I'd never have made it. (coffee is a wimp). Generally I get a shocked expression and then a smile and a nod. (for some reason people are prone to not taking me seriously)



It's hard to convey the sense of urgency that 15 weeks of classes crammed into 6 weeks is really like. You find yourself questioning if there's time for extra curricular activities . . . like sleeping, showering or eating.



The monumental amounts of information that is forced into your brain. The unbelievable amounts of information that your brain can absorb! The amazing butt muscles you develop sitting for 8 hours a day!



The one thing that really surprised me -and was even more important than RockStar in helping me survive- were the friendships I forged in 6 short weeks. I think I might understand a bit of how soldiers feel about each other when they go into war. Going through Hell can really bring people together!



In 2010 we will be finished with this odyssey. It will be so nice to get a life again and not have to study constantly--but I have to say, I will really miss spending my summer in sheer panic with each and every one of those 25 people that I've come to care about so much.



It's been hard, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.



Looking forward to Summer '09 and all of us feeling overwhelmed and freaked out together!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen sistah! I couldn't have put it better myself! It's the friendships that make it bearable, for sure!

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

Kate I love this post! The pictures were awesome and yet it seems like all of this happened so long ago. It almost doesn't seem real. My experience up there truly felt kind of "out of body" if that makes sense. I think that you described everything perfect, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels like people just don't quite get it when I try to describe the experience we had. What memories!

Lindsey & Kurtis said...

ooops...I forgot to mention that this is lindsey...we really need to get the name thing fixed. :)

Meesh and Trev said...

Awesome post Kate!! I love all of the pictures and you summed up the summer so perfectly! So fun!
Michelle C

About Me

Salt Lake City, UT
Mom of 3, wife of 1, grad student, SLP, and general all around cool person